As a business, creating awareness for your products and services is not enough. You need to create awareness for your brand name too. As you already know, marketing is not easy. In fact, it is an intensive exercise that calls for the implementation of sound strategies to let people know why your products and services are the best when compared to those of your competitors. Here is what most businesses do when it comes to marketing.
They call, email, send direct mail and other forms of advertisements in order to get the word out there.
Let’s face it. There are times when business is slow. This may be attributed to several factors affecting the economy for example inflation. When this happens, majority of businesses will experience low sales. At this time, it is quite common for businesses to cut back their spending on marketing with the goal of surviving.
This is not what a business should be doing. Instead, it is high time to promote heavily and frequently. Why? Your competitors will be doing the same and so you don’t want to be left out. Furthermore, customers will be looking for the deals and by promoting your business, sales will start to pick up again.
In order to pump life back into your sales funnel, there are tricks you need to employ. One of them is the use of postcards. Here is why.
High read rate
Postcards are highly preferred because they have a high read rate unlike direct mail where one has to open an envelope. It is quite common to find home owners getting mail from the mailbox, sifting through and tossing direct mail in the rubbish bin without even a single glance at the message packaged in it.
The high read rate is attributed to the postcards design. Postcards can be designed with high quality and full color photos especially the front part. That’s not enough. One can also incorporate a full color photo for products on offer. With this on the front side, it will surely catch the attention of the customer. If you use brief and punchy headlines, the message will be understood within seconds. As a result, the customer will be prompted to take action especially if the products are attractive. This means making a call or visiting one of your stores.
What you ought to know is that majority of businesses today are yet to adopt postcard marketing. This may attributed to the failure of fully understanding the power of postcard marketing. Furthermore, majority of businesses are still stuck with traditional advertising channels like TV and radio. Here is another reason why postcard marketing should be part of your promotion.
As said earlier, if your business is experiencing a slow period, cutting back on your marketing efforts is suicide to your business. Instead, it is high time for you to up your efforts and change your strategies. Postcard marketing is one of the best options. Reason being its cost effective. When compared with other forms of direct mail, postcard marketing is affordable. For starters, you don’t have to spend a lot of money to design them. Secondly, you can send out varying sizes depending with the customers you are trying to attract.
For example, a business can send a postcard measuring 4 ¼ inches by 6 inches which costs between 17.5 cents and 19.5 cents. When compared to a letter that costs 19 cents to 24 cents for standard bulk rate, postcards are way cheaper.
To save, just find a professional postcard design company that is offering discount rates for bulk orders. For example, if you find a postcard design company that charges you $400 for 5,000 top quality full color laminated postcards, then your marketing budget will be affordable.
Successful companies have adopted postcard marketing because it has a high retention apart from being affordable. By using variable data, businesses can ensure that postcards are printed with time sensitive messages before being sent out to highly targeted mailing list.
By promoting your brand, products and services using postcard marketing, your business will experience high response rates and increased sales revenue.
Work with postcard companies
Large businesses can set aside massive marketing budgets which allow them to utilize different marketing channels from internet marketing to TV ads. Small businesses on the other hand have limited resources and to promote their products and services, they need to find affordable marketing channels.
Postcards are affordable and if implemented in the right way, not only will they prompt the customer to take action by calling or visiting the store but they can convert a lead into revenue. Since small businesses have limited resources especially when it comes to marketing, they can outsource by working with postcard companies.
A postcard company has the ability of handling the entire mailing process thus saving the business a lot of money. They can start by designing and printing the postcards. If you make large orders, your business will surely benefit from discounted rates.
Since you have outsourced the designing and printing of the postcards, you can hire the same company to mail the postcards for you. This will help you save on shipping. Since you made a large order, shipping the postcards to your business will be costly. By asking the postcard company to mail them for you, you will save on shipping charges.
When you outsource, you don’t have to spend extra on hiring marketing personnel. The postcard company will take this responsibility off your hands.
Getting started with postcards
Just like any other form of marketing, postcards need to be handled with professionalism and care. Here is what you need to do to get started.
- Outsource to a postcard company
It is important to find the right postcard company that will follow your directions and promote your business as required. The best company should have the following qualities:
- It should specialize in postcards alone and not as a side printing job. Working with a company that specializes in postcards only will surely guarantee you better products and service. Furthermore, you will require a minimal budget since postcards will be printed alongside other orders.
- The right company should have in-depth marketing knowledge and experience. As a result, they will be in a position to advise you on design, postcard quantities and mailing lists among others. There are companies which offer guidance through the entire process from design to printing and mailing. Work with those companies.
- Spot UV printing is a special coating technique where UV light is used to cure varnish applied on card stock or paper. When selecting a postcard company, choose one that offers spot UV printing. This type of technique helps to create very high glossy finish. It also helps to make the postcard standout thus attracting your customers’ attention.
- It is wise to seek references from postcard companies. References are past customers that the company has worked for. By contacting the references, you can get a firsthand account regarding the company and how it operates. As a result, it will help fast track your decision making process.
- The right postcard company should have nationwide operation. By choosing such a company, they will advice you on how to handle mailing especially since your customer base extends to all states in the country. Furthermore, they can help you decide whether you should send to existing customers, to potential customers only or both.
- It is vital to choose a postcard company that understands the dynamics of mailing lists. Since they will be handling the mailing, they should be in a position to advice you on the procurement of mailing lists. Here is what you need to know. Sending out 10,000 postcards to random addresses will not get the same response as sending 10,000 postcards to targeted customers in need of your services. Procuring a mailing list is affordable and the only expense you will incur is postage. Spending a little money to get the message across will ensure a higher ROI.
- When it comes to the designing of postcards, the right company should be experienced in advising you on better options. They should help you select the right image for the front cover, the right color to accompany the image, what headlines to use and where to add the brand name and logo. If changes are needed, the right company should be at the forefront to incorporate any new changes at minimal costs.
It is important to know that when you choose postcard marketing, you have to set up a tracking system. This helps you to learn the rate of response. As a business, never measure the success of your postcard marketing campaign with response rate. Instead, you should measure using return on investment.
For example, if your postcard marketing budget was $3,000 which allowed you to send 10,000 postcards and you received 2500 calls, then your return on investment was great.
Once you are satisfied with the design of the postcard, they can be filled with data from the mailing list before being mailed to the right recipients. As you sit back awaiting responses from your customers, your marketing team should be working on the next postcard. Repeat the steps above allowing you to send postcards repeatedly to your customers. As a result, your brand will be memorable and increase your ROI.
Remember to keep formulating new postcard marketing ideas in order to stay relevant.